Wednesday 18 April 2012

Making Changes to Hyper Realistic Figure Sculpture#1

Part of many art projects is the need to to do research. This current project is no exception. Over the past several weeks I've been involved in finding out as much information about Homo Erectus as possible whether from books or the internet.
One of the discoveries I made was an article published by two American researchers claiming that the original dimensions of the pelvis of Lake Turkana boy were underestimated. Specifically, the bi-illiac  breadth was too narrow. What that simply means that during the original  reconstruction scientists at the time placed the two hip bones too close together which gave this specimen extraordinarily narrow hips. The new reconstruction suggests that the hip bones should be placed an additional two centimeters apart. Now that may not sound like much but that little change means a noticeable increase in the overall body size for my figure.  I was finding that using the original pelvic measurements as my guide had made the figure odd looking, very linear even awkward.

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
 Normally, I just measure with my eyes when building my sculptures but because I wanted this sculpture to be authentic looking,it was necessary to follow the published measurements. Homo Erectus definitely has body proportions that differ from most of humanity but I'm hoping with the increased size that the figure will be a little more believable and that's in the end is all that really matters. This adjustment is pretty typical of the process I go through when dealing with unfamiliar subject matter.
Later this week, I hope to show some updated images of my mould making projects in a couple of offsite locations.Talk to all of you then. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment