Monday 13 June 2011

Hair Punching Silicone Sculpture

I'm back again with some new updates on OM.  I had a very busy weekend which included attending my nephew's wedding on Saturday as well as starting the process of hair insertion or punching on OM.
I actually find this part fun to do, which seems a bit of a strange thing to say because it's a process in which I have to punch thousands of strands of hair into the sculpture. Perhaps, the fun element is actually a realization that the sculpture process isn't far from it's conclusion.
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella

Although, this picture has a rather comic quality at the moment, this image illustrates part of the hair punching process.
You actually start from the neck and work your way up and you always have the hair on any part longer than what you need.
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
 The above image shows the special needles I use for this process. It's fairly easy once you get use to the hand motion and the time it takes to insert but also to remove hair.
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
The hair punching like the painting requires adjustments throughout the process.
Anyways, I'll have further updates on this project plus other news soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment