Tuesday 10 July 2012

Inspirational Casts

Skhul 5   Epoxy  Cast (Wenner Gren Foundation)                 Adult male cranium  90,000 BP
Over the past several years, I've been acquiring a small collection of casts mainly of prehistoric hominids. These casts are used not only for reference but also I find they help me generate some new ideas for sculpture. In a sense they are part of my art practice and I refer to them often.
Amud 1   Epoxy Cast  (Wenner Gren Foundation)         40,000 BP
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella  2012
Image copyright  Art Di Lella  2012
Reconstruction of Australopithecus Afarensis  by SOMSO            3.5000,000 BP
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella  2012
Image copyright   Art  Di Lella 2012
 The first shown is a early modern human from Mount Carmel in Israel,discovered back in the 1930's. The second is a Neandertal specimen from Wadi Amud  near Lake Tiberius,also found in Israel in 1961.  The final cast is a reconstruction of Australopithecus Afarensis. This individual is a composite of several fragments which were discovered in the1970's by Donald Johanson.

The main reason that I collected these castings is because I love the exotic shapes of the bones themselves and the potentially amazing faces that were once attached to them. They're certainly part of the inspiration for the current figure that I'm working on and I'm hoping to start another prehistoric character soon but that will have to wait until all the other projects are finished or close to it. We'll see how things go.
In the meantime, I'm working the skin texture of my Hyper Realistic Figure #1 and should have some new updates soon.
I wish all of you a great week Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment