Friday 18 May 2012

Skin Texture Hyper Realistic Sculpture #1 Homo Erectus

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella


I'm finally back again with a new post. This time it's about skin texture being applied to the figure.
Because of the activity in the studio recently,I've been working on my Homo Erectus sculpture sporadically.  I was able to finish roughing it out only over the past two weeks.

Recently, I've been  experimenting with applying skin texture to this sculpture. The challenge is what type of texture should this figure have? Homo Erectus according to researchers went extinct roughly 400,000 years ago so preserved remains which show skin texture does not exist.

I've looked at other artists who specifically attempted this subject. They range from an almost completely modern African body with a primitive skull inserted to a man ape. Now of course to be fair, no one knows with certainty Lake Turkana Boy's actual appearance. The skeletal remains only infer that his body functionally and proportionately are similar to a modern human. So the assumption is that this individual would  have a more human like appearance.

Although, I'm not making a sculpture  for a museum diorama, I still want it to look just like one.  As I mentioned before the goal is a contemporary art statement not a didactic model.

My main question is for this clay model: What type of skin texture should this figure have?  I'm making the assumption that his skin was different but not ape like.Why? Because we tend to forget that the other primates have evolved as well. To what degree,uncertain. Here I making another assumption that modern apes and their ancestors differ as well so to use a more ape like skin for this figure would assume that the apes have remained primitive and humans have not.  We'll see how this approach will work out.
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
In the meantime,I took some recent black and white images. They give a better view of the modeling which at this stage still needs further refinement and skin texture applied.
This is a gradual process but I hope to finish this model soon. Crossed fingers.
I'll be posting next week. I hope all of you great weekend. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment