Tuesday 22 November 2011

What was all that Concrete about?

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
On October 20th, I published a post regarding the use of concrete in fine art applications. I deliberately avoided revealing the artist's name or what the project was all about . The reason was that I didn't want to potentially upstage the debut of a new sculpture installation by blabbing all over the internet. So I kept silent about the show and the artist till now.

Back in the summer, I was approached by the artist Chris Curreri  who was exploring the idea about making a large cube with a red glass vase imbedded in the cube itself. We discussed different possibilities and Chris told me at the time that he needed to do more research before making a decision.
Around mid September, Chris came back to my studio and commissioned me to make five cubes in concrete with a red glass vase imbedded in each one.
About a two weeks later,I began constructing the mould or form to produce the concrete casts and here are the images.
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
The red vase is placed upside down in the mould  prior to the concrete pour.

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Styrofoam is placed inside the cast to reduce the weight. Believe or not these casts even with the foam inserts still weigh about 80 to 90 kilograms each!
The concrete is very carefully poured in as to avoid breaking the vase which I did twice. This was a very challenging casting project, indeed!   After the vase is covered, then the rest of the concrete is poured into the mould till it's filled and leveled off. That completes the casting process.


Here are the final images of the finished sculpture in the Daniel Faria Gallery  This sculpture installation is part of Chris Curreri's one person exhibit called "Beside Myself"
Photo credit  Art  Di Lella  by permission of the artist and Daniel Faria Gallery
Photo credit  Art  Di Lella  by permission of the artist and Daniel Faria Gallery
photo credit  Art  Di Lella  by permission of the artist and Daniel Faria Gallery
I would like to thank Chris Curreri ,who was a pleasure to work with during the entire process and his dealer Daniel Faria of Daniel Faria gallery for allowing me to take and publish these photos.
The show is called "Beside Myself" at Daniel Faria Gallery,  188 St. Helens ave. Toronto . It's on from November 17, 2011 to January 7, 2012.
Later this week ,I'll have news on hyper realistic bust #2.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment