Monday 19 September 2011

Hyper Realistic Reconstructed Sculpture #3 in Silicone has Arrived!

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
On Friday of last week, I began the silicone casting of #3 aka Banner Boy. Actually, he is a young adult male with a unusually long face and cranium. I finished the casting process on Saturday and was able to demold that very day. Here are the images of the raw, unpainted cast. I find these particular photos give the sculpture a rather 'spooky' quality.

Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella
Image copyright  Art  Di Lella

The silicone was precoloured  with pigment and flocking like the others. The  advantage in having a base colour is that the painting in silicone is much less work but more importantly it will have the translucency needed to look like skin. This tranlucency tends to obscure the skin texture for the moment but will be visible again once the surface colouring is applied. In the meantime, I have to inspect the cast for flaws and correct them and then after that I'll begin the prep for colouring the surface.Yeah!
I'll be back later this week hopefully with news about BB and other studio projects. Talk to you then.

1 comment:

  1. good job, may I ask what release agent did you use between silicone mould and silicone cast?

    ReplyDelete